Friday, July 13, 2007

vfx: Mike's print shop



While driving through Alhambra today I noticed the now defunct Mike's Tailor Shop (bottom photo) and realized that it wouldn't be too difficult to jiggle the words around to create Mike's Print Shop. The only letter I had to build was "N" and it was easy to do that by manipulating the "M" in "Mike." Editing the sign was easy, changing all the buildings was hard. It took awhile to rebuild the surrounding buildings to simplify things. To do this, I used a couple of other pictures that I had of the other side of the street. I flipped the photos so that the lighting would be the same. I'm pretty satisfied with the Hopper-esque result. Of the three I like this one the best. One of the things that's fun about doing the movie is roaming around these places. I really like LA's mid-century look.

No comments: