Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The breakfast club

Today I dropped by Ben's house to pick up some props. We talked a bit about La Vie en Rose which he saw the other night. He thought it was device-y in the way it jumps back and forth throughout time. All I knew about it was that it was shot on Fuji film (I think) from an article in American Cinematographer. Then we talked about performance and how the kind of "document performance" I'm doing is so different from "acting performance." We both seem to find each other's area painfully tedious. He can't imagine thinking about documents at the level of detail that seems normal to me and I can't imagine doing what actors do (memorizing lines, doing relaxation exercises, figuring out beats, research). Yuck. We also talked about eroticism in cinema and a distinction between thinking about the erotic as intimacy vs. power and position. I then stopped by the hardware store to buy a gas hose so I could punch a hole in it for our dramatic gas leak scene. I was annoyed by the fact that it cost $22. I should have thought of something cheaper! What am I going to do with an old gas hose with a hole in it? Plus, Ben says gas hoses are tough to puncture so I don't even know how I'm going to create the puncture—blown outwards no less.

I've been realizing lately that my lifestyle must be apparent by reading this blog. It sounds like Ben, Erik and I are always eating and talking about stuff or I'm dropping by Ben's house or we're shooting. And it's true that my time with them is like a big blurry mix of events that flows from socializing to filmmaking and then back again. I don't know if it sounds fun, but it is actually.

I heard from Dan tonight as well (via email). He liked the Destination Infinity clue idea so that was reassuring. He suggested making the connection between the lobby card and the spinner idea really clear which is a good idea. He also mentioned that he liked the name "Kurt von Stroud." It's funny that people pick up on that. But then, he is a dreamboat.

No comments: