Tuesday, July 10, 2007

vfx: house removal + microscope + wire removal

House removal--remove houses from desert horizon as truck passes in front of them

This shot came out well and was pretty easy. I just rotoscoped the truck more carefully than last time and then put in a still image in which I had deleted the houses. Technically speaking, I guess I should have added some grain to the still image but it's such a tiny slice on the horizon that I don't think anyone will notice.

Microscope--Add round matte to create microscope eyepiece effect

This shot was supposed to be easy but for some reason it's not. All I do in this shot is reduce the side of the stars and put a fuzzy round mask on top of them to simulate looking in a microscope. For some reason it still doesn't look quite right, but I say good enough for now.

Wire removal--remove towers and wires from desert background

Last time I tried doing the wire removal using track mattes. But those didn't work... there was just too much movement in the vegetation. This time I tried doing some roto work but that didn't look good either. The problem is that you can see the wires between the moving brush. I had the idea that doing this shot would be like doing a z-plasty—a plastic surgery technique in which scars are visually deemphasized by creating a new scar in a zig zag pattern. My thought was that breaking up the wires here and there would cause them to disappear from the viewer's attention in the same way that camouflage makes something "disappear." The result wasn't too bad but it still didn't look quite right. I have to rethink this.

No comments: