Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Kristen Wiig & cinematography


This idea is really half-baked, more of a note to myself. I've been thinking about SNL's Kristen Wiig and how she's a good model for filmmaking aesthetics. I think she's really attractive... it's something about the way she looks plus the way she comes across. It's like there's a kind of "discoverability" about her, like maybe you're the only one in your group that really likes her. To me, that's why she doesn't come across as well when she plays sexy (green leotard in video above)—she loses her discoverability. (This is the point where my old friend Veronica would say very seriously, "Ron, she's married.") At any rate, I think that's the problem with some of those all-CGI films like Mirror Mask. They don't want to be discoverable. They want to be all-out beautiful. They demand your attention and don't allow you to give it. I wonder if this comes from the way that 2D imagery works. In a sense, a painting or illustration has to call out to you because it's competing for attention. It just sits there in a crowd of other voices. But a film already has your attention. Plus it's moving. A film doesn't need to shout at you. It just needs to keep you engaged and intrigued.

No comments: