Wednesday, June 06, 2007

There are rattlesnakes in Eaton Canyon




This morning I shot a lot of b-roll by myself. Simple things like closeups of fixing the spinner. Then in the afternoon I picked up Sean and went to Eaton Canyon to scout locations for Friday. When we first got there Sean and I were playing and then Sean started freaking out and said, "Dad, dad, there's a snake!" I ran down to look thinking it was one of those harmless green snakes. Then I saw a snake with a flat, broad head—one of the indications of a bad snake. Sean had stepped on the rock 6 inches from where the snake was resting. He thought it was poop. When I got home I looked it up on the internet and found it was a rattler. Yikes. Not, it wasn't rattling.

Anyway, Eaton Canyon is going to stand in for the desert for a couple of pickups. It's fairly similar looking and you can't beat five minutes away from our house (vs. an hour each way). It looks good facing south where you see the sky instead of the mountains. It got me thinking that the real advantage of digital technologies is not that you can bluescreen anything into the background, but that you can do fixes like removing towers and wires. I might try also try removing the hill on the right to put more sky in the shot.

No comments: