Monday, June 25, 2007

Fri & Sat. bridge scene shoot

On Friday we shot the bridge scene for about an hour and a half. All handheld stuff, mostly close ups of Ben looking through materials. It's the research scene. Then on Saturday by myself I shot some pickups. I also tried shooting with a tripod just to see what it would look like. Interestingly I looked at the Se7ven title again and found that most of that stuff is shot locked down. It just gives the impression of being handheld because of the jumpy text.

On Friday I had the idea that I wanted to shoot Ben's POV gazing at various pictures in the notebook so I did that handheld. Somehow it just didn't look like I wanted. So Saturday I tried it with a tripod and accidentally I got exactly the effect I was after. I focused on a picture, framed and locked down the camera. Then while the camera was still running I moved to the next picture, focused, framed and locked the camera, and so on. Speeded up, it looks exactly like what I wanted. It gives the effect of someone's eye flitting from place to place, yet gives enough time and weight to the individual images.

I edited a rough version of the sequence together. It looks pretty good. The main thing is to make sure that the transition from the previous desert scene to the bridge works OK. Otherwise you get this really sudden change to abstraction.

No comments: