Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More 2.35:1 composition tests

Full size, proper aspect ratio. In college I had a friend who worked at the Ford modeling agency. He was somewhat in awe of Cheryl Tiegs saying she could never take a bad picture. Ben, while eating, is sort of the opposite. It takes quite a bit of effort not to get a frame where his mouth looks like the first photo below.

For whatever reason, I'm very sensitive about trying to keep the viewer's eye in frame. I'm trying not to overuse them, but to me, practically everything looks better with a gradient filter in it. You can see it in the first photo below on the right. It's almost as if I use a gradient if I couldn't figure out a way to light one edge black. Or check out the red room photo below. There are three, count 'em, three black edges.

Also, I think I figured out the problem with framing. Since this movie only features Ben, there are no two shots or group shots to change the framing. So of course everything's going to look big since we just see medium shots or close ups of Ben most of the time.




No comments: