Monday, June 11, 2007

American Astronaut


I made it about 20 minutes into this space western musical before I realized that this film is more of an extended music video, not a drama. So I started fast forwarding. You can't really sit through this any more than you can sit through a music video for 90 minutes. Beautiful film, b/w cinematography and retro-anachronistic production design. It was shot on a few small sets so it has a claustrophobic feel even though they finally get outdoors at the end. Return of Cthulu was like that too; the miniatures didn't really seem to provide a sense of scale. Instructive, since I've often thought of making a film along these lines. The problem: how do you create not-too-good miniatures that lend a sense of scale and space to a picture? Now that I think about it, Guy Maddin has solved this problem since his films never seem small to me. BTW, that's one of the reasons we go out to the desert in our film. I was figuring that people would get tired being indoors by that point. Rent this one at Netflix while you can. It doesn't appear to be in release anymore.

No comments: