Saturday, June 02, 2007

The Godfather

I've been thinking about The Godfather for two reasons. One, its drama is based on understanding and observation, not technique. Two, I'm trying to figure out what I want to do that's different. It's not that I'm trying to be different for its own sake. But there's something I'm after that I don't find in the film.

Some details I really like:

At the beginning Luca Brasi, having practiced his lines over and over is talking to the Godfather. You know, "and may their first child be a masculine child." His performance is interrupted by children running through the room. That is a great moment because that's what always happens when you over rehearse. Something or someone interrupts and you can't accomodate the interruption.

At the wedding party the old guy gets up to sing. And he's out of tune and out of time, but everyone is loving it. That expresses so much about what family events are like.

Contrast this to the scene in Superman Returns which I hated:

Everything shakes when the rocketship lands. That that scene is about the way rocketships land in movies.

No comments: