Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More thoughts on the bridge

Today I stopped by to see how Erik's work on the deck is coming. He mispoured something so he has to redo some concrete. Then I stopped by Ben's to see how his deck is coming. I'm working on a film instead of making a deck.

I was talking to Ben about the bridge scene. He says I want to do everything like a production person and he wants to do everything like an actor. In other words, he wants to be rummaging through papers with his hands. Somehow this got me thinking about the "media arc." We have a lot of arcs going on including the hair arc, which is not a joke, but is a real arc in the film (Ben's hair is really long at the end). The media arc, is an arc that just occurred to me. Ben starts out in the analog world and then by the end, his world becomes intensely mediated. Metaphorically, this indicates his detachment from reality. Since the red room shows Ben going from paper to video, I realized it's probably important to keep the bridge sequence all analog/all paper. So probably this scene is going to be a bit like Kyle Cooper's Se7en titles. It's a bit depressing because that opening is so iconic by now, that if you do anything halfway like it, it's going to be compared. This version of the bridge may also enable me to use the baby Sarah footage. It would be nice to have it playing in the background with the audio fading in and out. And we see close ups of notebooks and real books in the foreground slightly abstracted.

No comments: