Saturday, June 14, 2008

Why we believe in the Great Moon Hoax


Won't someone please pay attention to the lonely flyer? Processed with the 'blockbuster movie' setting in Looks.

Yesterday, David and I checked out the location for the final shot. We took some footage with his HV20 and I cut it into the final sequence. I think it should work well. He said he's going to try to shoot it next week, as early as Monday.

Tonight, my mind's more on bad reasoning, however. Now that I think I have some idea of how film works, it makes sense why students reason the way they do. I've speculated that film works by focusing on a central character that provides an emotional entry point into a narrative defined by a series of long term and short term anticipations. Films don't reason. They create emotional identification. They function via tone and voice. And it's difficult to maintain forward plot movement so anomalies and questions frequently get left by the wayside. This is how reasoning occurs in the media age.

No doubt this is part of the reason why I love films like Starship Troopers and Harakiri. They both jerk around with viewpoint. They force you to identify with a certain character and his/her views. Then they flip to another mode and ask you to identify with a conflicting view.

No comments: