Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Duh


I spent most of the day adding chunks of noise to the video. The idea is to make it look like there is information straining to get out. Or as Ben would say (mocking me), "you have to perform through the obstruction." This is what it's like to direct Ben, by the way. I ask Ben to walk from the cactus to the car. Ben replies "Oh, you want me to walk through the desert?" Ben, now open the door to the car in one motion. "Oh, you want me to perform through the door?"

I used noise source that I collected years ago when I saw some weird analog noise on one of the VCRs at school. I also heavily distorted some footage in both After Effects and Motion. Motion has some really great filters in it. Plus, it tends to render much faster than AE. Try After Effects' light rays, for example. They take forever. Motion's are almost real time. Anyway, it occurred to me that I was adding noise to a film called noise. I guess I had always thought of the title 'noise' in terms of obfuscating information. But I guess there is literal noise as well. duh.

No comments: