Sunday, June 01, 2008

Editing & digital matte painting


Been working on the bird segment edit. It feels very unnatural for me so I keep running versions by Ben. I think I need to add two more shots—one fish eye of Ben reaching toward the car door and one low angle shot of Ben opening the car door. There needs to be more suspense in the sequence. I might have to shoot one of the shots green screen to get the right background. I think about 80% of my effort is going toward getting the equestrian area to look like the desert.

I spent a lot of time working on a digital matte painting to extend one of the shots (see above). I integrated two images to cover up the truck we were shooting from and the equestrian railing. I was obsessed with the matte painting for a few hours. If I could, I would extend the shot so that Ben was more of a tiny blip and you could see the sky and the curvature of the lens distortion. But it's too hard and I'm not really enjoying the process. I'm just not much of a painter. Interestingly, one of the TAs I had as a painting instructor at UCLA ended up becoming a well-known matte painter and worked on everything from Star Wars to ET to Jurassic Park.

No comments: