Saturday, June 14, 2008

Adventures in robots


This is a bit off topic but I found it really interesting. Sean started drawing a really cool robot (a). It's his attempt to copy a robot out of a book he has. I gave him some sharpened color pencils, told him to color a robot in and ended up with (b). I wanted to see what would happened if he copied one of my drawings so I made a simple, not-very-good robot (c). His version has the robot blasting something (d). I tried another robot (e). His version can be seen at the bottom (f).

Observations:

>His drawings are a lot better than mine.

>Sean's robots d and f look like an adult trying to imitate children's drawing. I think it's because there's a use of certain stereotypes like the articulated arms which I think come from men-in-suit robot costumes.

>Sean's robot f came out better than his robot d. I think it's because the source drawing is stranger. It's not a very good drawing and I had no idea what I was after. But curiously, this seemed to allow Sean to create a more interesting result.

No comments: