Sunday, March 23, 2008

Psycho


I was reading a book called Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho, so I took a peek at some sections of the film. Talk about my two nemeses: final exposition and psychology. The ending exposition is really funny to me... the psychologist's grimly serious, psycho-babble-filled monologue about Norman. And exactly how do you know all this? Even more bizarre is the Vince Vaughn-starring Psycho (1998). I only watched bits and pieces (free on Netflix instant) but the bits I saw were in fact a shot-by-shot copy of the original as I had heard. When Vince Vaughn first shows up in a wig, it looks like something out of a fraternity prank. Kind of funny. A really odd film. I love the story in the Hitchcock book where it talks about his technical virtuosity. He tells his DP to pop on a 50 mm lens, put the subject about 10 feet away and he should get a nice medium shot (or something like that).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the cool thing about psycho is exactly that - that there are only a few cool parts. they're very short, but memorable.

admin said...

Interestingly, I've read that the shower sequence was storyboarded by Saul Bass (also the title designer of the film) who was apparently a student of Vorkapich's at USC. A great book on Vorkapich-ian montage is Ed Spiegel's Innocence of the Eye.