Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mr. Demille, I'm ready for my close-up now....

One thing I like about doing theater is being put in a situation where I have no idea what's going on. It helps me empathize with my students. Monday I attended the "designer's run." It seems obvious now, but I didn't know that this was an early run-through of the play for all the designers on the show (lighting, costume, etc.). It was rough, but really interesting. This version made so much more sense to me than the movie which is odd because the movie was directed by the playwright. The movie plays against type and comes off more as a mystery. It's very cold and surface-y. This play goes with type and just makes more sense to me. The lead—Robert—isn't mysterious as much as he's weak but suprising. It also reminded me of working on our film. I've talked a lot about making moments. It seems like plays are about setting up dramatic moments here and there.

I've also been thinking about how the performance idea helps with working on projects like this. First, there's a section where the type needs to really perform at the end. I'm not sure how I'm going to do it but at least I feel aware of a potentially difficult segment. Second, I'm realizing that what performers really want to do is perform. In his book-that-I-used-to-hate-but-now-I-love Mike Figgis says that actors want to act. I think that's what a lot of designers want to do too. They want to play the lead once in a while. I think that what comes across as ego is often a longing to carry the show just once. Maybe it's less about vanity and more about an actor wanting to act, a performer wanting to take on a challenge. I can imagine that if I did this sort of work for awhile I would really want to see projections used more substantively. But then, that's what the film is for isn't it?

Finally, I'm realizing that expectations are really different when working in these smaller venues. When I did the project at the Getty, I would just tell the house techs what I needed. Even at school I don't move or adjust projectors. Here, I found that I'm supposed to do everything myself. It's not that I mind doing it. I'm just concerned that I can't do it. Someone used a machine to ratchet the projector onto the ceiling and I can't budge the thing. Plus, I have to get on a ladder 10 feet in the air. So if you see me in a cast next week you'll know why.

No comments: