Monday, April 30, 2007

The plot thickens...

Been working on the new cut that incorporates everyone's feedback. As usual I've been cutting with temp music, in this case, the pretentiously named Eptesicus from Batman Begins. Everytime I use a different piece of music I get a different idea of how to put the thing together.

What I discovered now that we have a lot more footage is that like the ripples of expressions on an actor's face, a scene goes through many changes and it's helpful to be aware of those changes. A scene is not an undifferentiated mass, but flows from one emotion and idea to another. So I've started to create titles for each part of the first scene. They all end up sounding like the chapter titles from a DVD, but here I'm referring to changes -within- a scene, not from scene to scene. Titles for the first scene:

1. Another day, another 1000 days (Ben walks in)
2. Stars (Ben discovers particulate stars)
3. Midnight visit (The evil entity whooshes past the spinner)
4. A rainy day (The spinner is broken)
5. Pursuing a mystery (Ben looks at the video of the broken spinner)
6. A new hope (Ben tries to make it work)
7. Requiem for a dream (Ben gives up)

No comments: