Friday, April 27, 2007

Jumps & flow: my shortcomings as a filmmaker

It's at times like these that my general weaknesses as a filmmaker come to the foreground. They are at least these two...

Flow
I tend to cut for flow which gives everything a kind of smoothness. Earlier I called this "the effect in which my videos will put you to sleep." Sometimes this is good. I like a sense of mysterious flow. But cutting this way causes two problems. First, I tend to underplay things so there is not enough emotional or visual emphasis when needed. Sometimes you WANT to disrupt the flow. Second, cutting for flow sometimes makes it hard to understand the narrative. Maria was good at pointing out logic flaws in my edits.

Jumps
In the video I'm always trying to jump from here to there putting in as few connecting shots as possible. Dan said he was sometimes confused by the geography of the film which makes sense. If you look at the current cut you'll see that there are few exteriors and few scenes of arriving or leaving or driving, etc. I think this partially echoes the way that I live my life. Most of the time I'm thinking about something and the actual geography of where I am... at home, in the car, at school, doesn't matter much. But in film, practically everything gets turned into geography, you know the George Lucas, "if we're on the volcano planet this must be the finale" idea. That approach IS embedded into our film. The red room is the finale. Green is work. The workshop is abused brown. But I think it's important to help the audience connect the geographical and chronological dots.

No comments: