Monday, October 16, 2006

The origins of the story



Today I put our 5 minutes or so of completed footage together. It looks pretty consistent. Definitely the same brain at work there. It has the same greenish orange palette throughout. Everything is shot on the big side. It's obvious I was using a tiny monitor because though shot in HD(V), the images seem optimized for 500 x 280 which is what I use for testing! So we see a lot of Ben's big head.

For some reason I was thinking about the first incarnation of the film. I remember telling Maria the story on a trip to the Long Beach aquarium but back then it was a big budget visual effects noir piece loosely based on the look and feel of Dark City. The spinner was huge then--like a turbine in a hydroelectric power plant. The bad guys (you actually saw them) levitated into the air with quiet, arrogant menace. The idea, like now, was to create a film that was the opposite of The Matrix.

No comments: