Friday, April 11, 2008

Filmstrip viewer + the last third


I think I need to add one more thing to the desert sequence. There are two problems with it. First, Ben goes directly to the shrine as if he knows where it is. He needs to do some searching first. Second, all that walking drags a bit. I might put the bit back in where Ben finds something on the ground and it's just a photo so he lets it blow away into the sky. The idea didn't work originally because Ben found the photo IN the shrine. If I make him find it on the ground before the shrine, it will be clearer.

Then it's on to the bridge sequence. That's where things go all crazy and the film gets hard to understand. If you recall, a long time ago I was talking about using a Memex or microfiche-like device. I still want to get a shot of something like that where information is flying by on a screen. But most of the microfiche services help you get material out of microfiche format, not into it. I should try putting a computer transparency into a microfiche reader. I wonder if the resolution would be sufficient? I also bought the above filmstrip reader on Ebay. It should be relatively easy to make a filmstrip because it's just a 35 mm film positive (I think). If it doesn't work, I can always use the reader for something else.

I've been thinking about how to cut the bridge sequence and I think I'll do it all with some video distortion. So there'll be some ambiguity about the sequence giving it a feeling of mediated unreality.

No comments: