Tuesday, May 01, 2007

853 x 480

I've never made a widescreen DVD before. It looks like you render out at 853 x 480. I know I shot HDV but going HD for the whole pipeline is just too taxing for my hardware. And artistically speaking, I'm not sure the film will hold up under too much scrutiny. One reason for shooting HD was so that I could reposition easily without resolution loss. But my tests were disappointing. We need to get one rotating shot so I did a rotation test in AE expecting that it would look OK since I was downsampling to a lower resolution. It just didn't look good.

Looks like I'll do the effects shots in AE 7 then render out in Animation/lossless. Then I'll master the whole thing in AE 7 16-bit following the steps outlined in DV Rebel. So I'll lose a "generation" for the effects shots but I think the convenience and savings in rendering time will be worth it. I still have to decide whether I'm going to bite the bullet... the Magic Bullet. Not only does it cost a lot (even at academic prices) but it takes forever to render. But using it was always part of the plan. The movie looks great projected on a computer projector, but the thing really needs to get changed to 24p somewhere along the line.

2 comments:

Krissy said...

Yeah, what does this have to do with my motivation???

admin said...

Note: the above comment is from Ben not Krissy. Ben, as Roger Corman once said, your motivation is you're getting paid. Oh wait, you're NOT getting paid. Uh.....