Friday, November 17, 2006

Notes on the last cut & the fly whisperer

Showed the latest cut to Ben, Erik and Gene today. They had good feedback. Ben says the opening montage needs to convey the idea of a long expanse of time more clearly. Erik thought we need to clarify that the printing press is where Ben works.

We also had a good talk about seriousness. Some of you know that I hate overly serious things. It's a plight especially true of films like ours. Ooh. Mystery! Scary! I'm trying to figure out how to get some silliness into the production. But it's surprisingly difficult to put in mood-puncturing elements. The closest successful attempt I found is Guy Maddin's Eye Like a Strange Balloon which is beautifully surrealistic yet a little strange and a little funny. When the train goes up in flames the wise old man chokes out, "oh the humanity!" And the characters all do this weird teeth chattering.

Later, I was also telling Ben and Erik about my idea about using a fly for a couple of shots. Erik's face dropped when he heard that because he figured he would be the fly wrangler. But I think I figured out a way to do it.

Been thinking of ways to streamline the ending. I think I figured out a way to make everything work including the "bird attack" sequence. I've also been working on the clues. The idea is to "Blow up"-ize them. Before, the clues that Ben found were too literal. I realized that I need to make them ambiguous to convey the idea that these clues may exist only in Ben's mind.

No comments: