Saturday, November 25, 2006

More comments & Larry Niven

Cho Eun came over yesterday so I showed her the cut in progress. She had the exact same comments as everyone else. Ben looks good. There's no dialogue? She did have one new comment, however. "The movie is about the object, not the person." That was a good observation. Ben is not so much a character as an operator of things. It reminded me of grad school. One thing I always wanted to do but never did was create a series of moving sets or objects started by an operator--something like a Tom Jenkins performance/sculpture but with more theatrical sets.

It also reminded me of one of the distant, half-forgotten (Harry Potter-esque?) influences of the project. When I was in high school I was reading one of those b/w sword & sorcery comic books--you know, like Krull or Conan the Barbarian or Solomon Kane. Inside was an adaptation of Larry Niven's "Not long before the end." Here's the way I remember it (no doubt inaccurately). There are two magicians dueling. It goes back and forth. One magician finally gets the upper hand. So the other magician pulls out his secret weapon--a spinner! He tosses the spinner up in the air and it spins faster and faster. Eventually it "burns out." Apparently magic--the world's "manna"--was a fixed resource. The spinner uses up the world's supply of magic and thus we end up with today's magic-less world. I really liked the story back then and obviously it stuck with me.

UPDATE: The comic book I was reading is called: Unknown Worlds of Science Fiction #3.

No comments: