Sunday, January 28, 2007

"That's pretty good for all that crap"


Went to C&H today to look for parts for the portable Memex. There's still a lot there and they're still getting stuff from the warehouse. But the shelves are getting bare. Go while you can. Everything is half off! I bought a bag of components and dials for $13.65 leading to the comment from the cashier that titles this post.

I also realized I messed up on the postcard clue (rough version above). Originally this clue was going to be pieced together from menus and cereal boxes and odd stuff lying around the house. Then I thought turning the clue into a postcard would streamline it. Now, I'm realizing that in order for the red room to work, the desert clue has to be pieced together from stuff. It's the beginning of his clue-building madness.

I must have the most profoundly inefficient way of working. It comes from always be willing to test the basic assumptions. If I make one change, I let it ripple into the foundations of the project to see what happens. It's not very scientific. It's more like being willing to be stupid and forgetful. I think I have a good new solution to a problem (like the postcard). So I set it into motion. I live with it awhile. And then I find it doesn't work. So I have to go back to the original or on to something new. But then I have some greater understanding or conviction about why I'm doing something.

No comments: