Sunday, July 02, 2006

Getting my props



Won this TV off Ebay for $10 + $30 shipping. I liked it, it was pretty cheap and no doubt we will need a TV prop sooner or later for our ambiguous 50's-60's-70's universe. The question: how do you get a DVD to play on the thing? There are a lot of cheap low-power TV transmitters out there but I'm looking for something that's prebuilt and not a kit. Usually that means a big jump in price. There also may be a way to use an RF modulator to make the TV show DVD output. Or maybe I'll gut the TV and replace the tube with an LCD screen. I asked Brian our department tech whether it was true that the capacitor in a TV set can shock you even when it's unplugged. He said, YES, it's true.

At this point in my life, I don't feel too bad about buying these kinds of things without a specific use in mind. My taste doesn't change much so sooner or later this TV will end up in a video or a project somewhere.

PS: I received this response from northcountryradio.com-
Our LPTV transmitter would do what you want. Th works on VHF CH 2-6. The kit is $52.95. We can supply an assembled unit for $98.50. It runs on a std. 9V battery

No comments: