Friday, July 28, 2006

Desert shoot II: the return



Went up to the desert Wednesday. It was cooler than LA but still hot--definitely over a 100. Over 100 people have died so far in California in this heatwave. It's hard to think in those conditions. There is a huge glare spot on all of the shots of the truck coming down the road. If I had been thinking better it may have occurred to me to move the camera. My first thought was actually to use anti-glare spray. That's hundred degree weather thinking.

Having checked out the location on Google maps we knew that the desert lot was pretty big (we found out it was for sale). So we drove around until we found a long road and a low horizon. Even so, I'm going to have to do some digital removal of elements on the horizon line. It should be pretty easy though despite the camera movement. And in the shots of the peeling Joshua tree, I'm going to have to digitally remove trash. There was just too much of it. All in all, I'm probably going to have to do a lot of wire/trash/electric line removal. I could even remove the glare spot, but it's a lot of work.

The clouds were beautiful and Erik did a great job with the crane especially considering that we didn't use a monitor. It's all just guesswork. But I should have directed a little better. The same problems keep coming up over and over--

>LCD on camera is too small to use as a monitor so it's hard to assess shots in the field.

>It's tough to keep one's wits about oneself when shooting on location, especially a tough location like this one. I need to follow the lead of Oliver Stone (tent) Coppola (trailer) and Lucas (video village) and create a space on location where I can be disengaged and really look at what we shot.

>It's still hard to shoot and direct at the same time but that could be solved by the above.

Some of the shots that I thought would work well, don't cut quite as nicely as I hoped. They look a little static so I need to direct Ben better so there's more movement.

No comments: