Monday, November 10, 2008

When ignorance is king

I was thinking of little tweaks I need to make to the film, most of them having to do with our unseen protagonist. The film exists in a very delicate balance with precisely calculated ambiguities. I don't think I could even create a film like this anymore. I know too much. I would probably turn everything into action, and create a literal, rather than implied bad guy. I also think I'd have a much closer to normal shooting ratio. The shoot we did for class went fast and cut well. Something like that. None of this trying to figure out how to make a bird attack in which the bird doesn't attack or how to distort letters precisely so that they look like (but don't quite) spell "ex nihilo." Yeesh. Hopefully, this is all part of the film's charm--seeing something that clings to standard cinematic coherence by a thread. And, referring to my earlier posts about audience expectations: I wonder if charm can trump craft? Believing so is like believing that in the end, the heart wins.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i think a film probably has to have charm.
-david