Monday, November 03, 2008

Random thoughts on finishing

I'm really close to being done. Done, done. With color grading, sound, everything. If I had to I could probably be done in a day or two if you don't count rendering time (and if I had a day or two just to work on it).

As I work on the edit one thing I've been thinking about is consistency. My lighting is all over the place. Sometimes pretty good, most of the time really underexposed. Ben's VO is really good in some places, not so good in one place. I think that's one of the hallmarks of professionalism —consistent results. You know what works and you know how to get it. We're not too consistent and not too professional, but one thing that did help was the ability to shoot and reshoot.

I'm going to solve the red room TV problem by just shooting the black/white TV with a DVD feed sent via RF Modulator. I won't literally show Ben in the same shot as the TV. I'll just imply that he's looking at it starting with his reaction shot. It's weaker that way, but it's more important that the video reads as coming from a TV in the red room and not some abstract thing from nowhere. I always hated those shots in old movies where they never show the actor in the same shot as the bear (or other animal). I already set up a little tableau. It should be pretty easy to shoot it.

I never really solved my pipeline problem. It looks like I'm going straight out of FCP instead of mastering in AE. It ends up that I created and rendered a lot of effects shots in AE and then brought them back into FCP for correction with Magic Bullet Looks. Then finalize sound design. A really inelegant process.

No comments: