Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Scoring/sound design

Here's what I've discovered about sound design/scoring so far--

1. It's not nearly as difficult as doing video.
2. It's tedious in places. 90% of the audio you hear in noise film was put there by hand. It's almost like animation--building a world from scratch. Probably the most tedious was putting in the typing noises for the typing scene. I found a recording of typing sentences and split it up to match the video. This gives the typing a more natural feel. I think that using the same sample over and over would sound repetitious.
3. The layer/track-based metaphor of the software makes basic layering and assembling operations easy. The hard parts involve sequences that morph or transform from one thing to another.
4. My sound design style is very 'modernist.' I find myself frequently changing the audio when there is a cut, or accentuating cuts. Normally in film, you're supposed to try to smooth out the cuts. I found I love it when there's a cut and you change the room tone. That was always part of my vision for the film.
5. Although I shot MOS, I should watch when I'm talking. I was able to use a lot of desert sound (walking, car stopping) because there was no dialog over it. There's nothing as real as reality. I even used some of the parts where the wind hits the mic creating wind noise. Technically that's considered bad craft, but I really liked the sound of it.

No comments: