Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Knowing the score

I met with Dan last week to talk about the score... or I should I say lack of it. We decided to go another route with it, which right now, means me. I'm about a third done with it and I think it's turning out well. Dan reminded me about the film Hara Kiri that I had given to him as a reference. So I dug up some Asian and shamisen sampling CDs I had stashed away and started assembling a score along with various pads. I found some great resources in the process. I got a lot of sounds from soundsnap.com and the freesound project. Both sites are free and well worth checking out. I also got some effects and pads from Soundtrack Pro's library which is surprisingly extensive.

The hardest part of the whole thing was deciding what program to use. I like Pro Tools for its interface, but I hate it for its insistence on making me carry around an mBox dongle. I tried Soundtrack Pro but was bewildered by its interface. I did a lot of work in Final Cut, but it lacked sufficient audio processing capabilities. I finally settled on Logic Express which is working pretty well. What I would really like is a program that makes it easy to simultaneously edit video and audio. There was a program that did something like that, but it disappeared. I forget what it was called.

I think we're now looking realistically at an end of the year release date.

No comments: