Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Customers who bought this item also bought....


I found two films that remind me of noise film. The Deep is a short film that played at Sundance curiously under the drama category. It was made by a film student at the University of Utah. Typical low-budget film--no sound, shot DV, no real plot, just a day in the life of someone who lives underground tending to various machines. It's reasonably interesting for its 8 minute running time but by 8 minutes in noise film, we're halfway out to the desert. There's a lot of story in noise film. The Deep is set in that ubiquitous ambiguous future/past universe of which noise film is a part. The one difference is that noise film tends to be more of an electronic-hobby universe. We usually see industrial/steam punk worlds. I saw it on instant play at Netflix so if you don't have Windows you'll have to find it somewhere else.

I also watched part of Moonlight by the Sea. When I get a chance I think I'll watch the whole thing. This one is beautifully shot on what looks like b/w film. Low-fi sets, probably made of cardboard. The story is a bit too allegorical for my liking, but there's definitely a sense of artistry at work. Good acting too, better than what you'd expect. Another ambiguous future/past universe, but this one, like Automatons, seems to draw more from the vocabulary of 50's B-movies.

No comments: