Saturday, April 18, 2009

Secret sauce bleach bypass


This image shows the difference between beta 2 (bottom) and my semi-home-made bleach bypass look (top). My technique is a labyrinthine and lame way to achieve effect but it's the only practical approach I've found. Apple Color has a beautiful bleach bypass effect but I have a hard time getting the result I want. Plus, Color itself is such a pain to use because of the way it makes changes and edits so difficult. Magic Bullet Look's bleach bypass looks too thick and I've never been able to get it to look right. Here's the formula. My approach requires Looks but you can probably do something similar using only built-in filters.

In FCP, use a standard 3 way corrector to adjust the overall brightness and contrast of the image. Then apply the neo noir filter to make the clip black and white. I like to add a bit of grain—6. The neo noir filter adds a bit of diffusion which makes the light areas glow like film.

Copy the clip and place the new clip above the original clip. Then, in the new clip, replace the neo noir filter with any of the film Looks. Usually these film looks are gaudy. The approach I'm describing makes any of them usable. I've been using the Bistrocity look. I've been pronouncing it to rhyme with atrocity but I think it's supposed to be Bistro City.

Apply the Overlay blend mode to the top layer. Adjust its Opacity if necessary.

Essentially, this technique has two layers of footage, the color one on top and the b/w on bottom. The color layer has the Overlay blend mode applied.

No comments: