Friday, December 05, 2008

Feedback on beta 2

Showed beta 2 to Craig today. He's the first person with an art background to see the footage (who has not seen any of the film except for a few shots). I showed it on one of our projectors through the class sound system It looked a little washed out and I realize that my blacks aren't zeroed out as I thought. Ben's voice sounded good.

Some of his comments...

1. The codex video looks too digital compared to everything else. He thinks it needs to look more authentic. This was a good observation I thought.

2. I asked him to categorize it. He called it "mystical science fiction." Hmmm.

3. He said it was reminiscent of "Lost" the TV show that I've never seen. Something about the way the video seems to indicate a scientific backstory and or conspiracy.

4. He also said it reminded him of WWII era Disney instructional videos. That was a good observation since we use a lot of AV material from the mid-century And, as an instructional designer, the fact that the film has an instructional video in it causes me no end of amusement.

5. I think the main thing that comes across is a sense that someone's thought this thing through, so it's not just smoke and mirrors, but it's also not obvious what that is. Perfect.

6. He also said it reminded him (thematically) a bit of the duh... Vinci code.

My basic feeling now is that we're hitting the target consistently and the film is functioning like I want weaving between clarity and ambiguity. Also, one thing he said that made me happy was that he now felt like going out and making a film. That was always the point... making something homely enough to be inspiring.

No comments: