Friday, December 26, 2008

Adult films + happy birthday to us

It was four years ago this month when I started work on noise film. Happy Birthday to us.

Today I was thinking about adult films (films FOR adults). I think it's because of the films that are out now. Sin City and 300 seemed very adolescent to me, like a teenage boy's view of something adult (RE sex and violence). The Spirit seems similar. Benjamin Button is out now which reminded me of Fincher's Se7en. That was another film that wanted desperately to be grown up. To me it came off as stylized, self-conscious and adolescent. Most other 'adult' films seem to be boring and talky or dramas. Films like Midnight Cowboy or The Sterile Cuckoo. So I've been wondering about what would a true adult film look like? What would it be about? What would be its tone and texture?

No comments: