Saturday, October 27, 2007

Theater and visual effects

I had a nice talk with Dan the other day. In terms of the film I told him that the only motivational strategy I had was guilt. He's trying to carve out some time to work on the sound but he's super busy with a conference and a major publication in the works. I'm really hoping he can give us something in January. We'll see.

In the meantime I took on a short two-week project. I'm doing some video transitions for a play. Here's what I love about the theater—

>It's not photorealistic. Although I often get asked to do visual effects-type stuff, there's a good match with my own sensibility. It's kind of fun to play around with pyro and other effects. I just don't like it when the end result has to be absolutely photorealistic.

>Theater is inherently modernist-looking, a good match for the way my art looks (flat).

>The role of the designer. What I really like about the theater is the way that the designers work with directors. It's really different from other client-designer relationships (like in graphic design). In this case you're working with someone who comes from an arts perspective. Being a designer is like being a supporting cast member in an ensemble.

>There's something fun about working in the background where you're not the one always responsible for carrying the show.

>For whatever, the subject matter of the shows I've worked on seem to address the kinds of issues I find interesting (in a broad way).

No comments: