Thursday, September 07, 2006

It just gets worse...

Saw Ben today. We talked about some ideas for getting the bird shots to work. I went home and did some composites. Da-daah! It looked exactly like I was envisioning. And it was really easy. I shot the ornithopter flying in front of a white wall. Then all I had to do was make a garbage matte and multiply it in After Effects. So far so good.

Next I downloaded some royalty-free stock footage of flocking birds. Stuff I could actually afford. Then I tried compositing it into the windows to get a sense of what it would look like. But when I composited the birds, it looked like they had just pooped all over the window. Remember, the blood wasn't dark enough and looked gooey and transparent. It made me think about the fine line we have to walk and how everything needs to be delicately balanced. So to get this scene to work we'll probably have to be a bit more obvious. Maybe have a bird smashed into the window. Or feathers. And make the blood darker. Or use spiderwebbed glass. Or something.

No comments: