Saturday, August 05, 2006

Three minutes: done, er... almost + mini reviews

Today we used Ben's backyard to do the desert scene shots in which the wind blows the photo out of Ben's hand. My laptop is now grinding away rendering out the scene. The edit is basically complete and is just missing the shrine interiors which I'm saving for later. Today I asked Ben why it was taking so long to shoot our film. His response: "because you don't know what you're doing." I think he was joking, but he is right. Then he continued, "because the film is being created during the process of shooting." A good observation. The stuff we shot today came out of our first desert shoot. It was windy that day and when Ben ripped the papers out of the shrine, they were blowing like crazy and it gave me the idea to incorporate blowing paper into the scene.

We have the church scheduled for shooting next week during the evening. That should be fun. After the desert, any kind of location work indoors with electricity should be easy.

Here are some movies I've watched lately. Actually, of the following, I only watched two all the way through (Incident at Loch Ness and Monsters, Inc.) I think I have a lack of faith in most films and I don't believe that I'm going to be rewarded if I watch all the way through.

V for Vendetta
I got though three chapters and couldn't watch any more. The comic book dialogue was driving me crazy and I was getting annoyed by the clumsy blocking of a lot of the scenes, especially the fight scenes. I also couldn't get past Natalie Portman's English accent.

Monsters, Inc.
Sean has been watching this over and over. Incredible level of craft as I mentioned before. The story seems so convoluted, it's always amazing to me that it seems to make sense to people.

Incident at Loch Ness
Until I watched the extras I never even realized that this mockumentary was filled with visual effects. Werner Herzog has a good screen presence and for me, his delivery of the line "she doesn't look like a sonar operator" was hilarious. Quirky.

Negadon Monster from Mars
Having been brought up watching kaiju films on Saturday afternoon TV I was really looking forward to this kaiju-inspired indy CGI flick put together by a few Japanese guys at home. I was really impressed with their 60's style star field matte painting. But the human characters were waxen and the scenes barren and lifeless. I guess part of what makes kaiju films kaiju films is the top view shots of crowds pointing and running away.

Anxious Animation
Great resource for cut-out animation.

Mimic
Got it for the beginning in which shots fade in and out. Similar to what we're doing in the red room scene.

The Omen (1976)
Interesting compressed time montage sequence using still images.

All About Lily Chou Chou
I watched a bit until this seemed to be another one of those tales of media-obsessed adolescent alienation.

Bloodrayne
Poor Uwe Boll. Everyone hates Uwe Boll. Read his wikipedia bio. I had to see at least one of his films. I didn't make it through this one but what I saw was a lot better than I was expecting. Some stylish directing and editing. It didn't seem any worse to me than other films of this type. But apparently, if you're into this kind of stuff, it really sucks.

Underworld Evolution
Stylish, but small looking. Really limited color palette.The oddest thing about this to me was that a lot of the flying effects were done practically. I thought they were composites. Apparently this is a lot better than Bloodrayne.

2046
Looked like one of those "sideways glances and mysterious trysts" kind of films. I might try it again later.

No comments: