Thursday, June 15, 2006

Desert locations by Google Earth



This morning we went to the desert to shoot the shrine scene. It wasn't too hard to find a location. We found a secluded empty lot on Eucalpytus and Tamarisk surrounded by brush with a nice view of the mountains. People had been using it as a garbage dump so we were continually having to move trash out of frame. It was windy and cool and we were able to get our shooting done efficiently. The camera batteries held up just long enough to get everything done. I'm glad I put the dangling medals and crosses in the shot. They provide some movement and layering to the shot and may give Dan something to play off. The wind also gave me some ideas for the ripping-off-the-papers shot. It's still difficult to monitor on the tiny camera LCD. I may have to do some touch up FX to get rid of a few phone lines. And I wish I had shot some of footage telephoto to get more visual compression. But--especially considering we went out there with no idea of our location--it was a good day topped off by pho and butter mints at Vietnam House.

No comments: