Thursday, March 09, 2006

Lighting with a histogram



Yeesh, more lighting tests. I've been developing a technique for lighting using the Sony's on-screen viewerfinder histogram. It immediately triggers my experience in Photoshop since I know how an attenuated histogram decreases the amount of data used in an image. I love its familiarity.

The idea is to move the key closer or farther in order to get a reasonable histogram reading keeping in mind that lighting rule about lighting dropping off (or increasing) expotentially and setting the corresponding exposure. Then you set the other lights. It's really just treating the camera like a light meter.

The image above doesn't have enough light. The bump in the histogram goes too far off the scale on the left. I moved the lights closer to generate a more reasonable histogram after this test. As always, it's the relationship of the lights to one another--the contrast--that counts.

No comments: