Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Singing the noisy blues

My latest take on Noise film is to make it black and white. I've been looking at some b/w films for comparison. Automatons was shot on super-8. It's way grundgier than noise film. Pi was shot on 16mm. I don't think 16mm has to look that grainy. Noise is somewhere between the two. My conceit is that I'm doing it at 2.35:1 unlike 16mm's 4 x 3. One problem with Noise film is that I shot it with the histogram way too left-leaning. So any attempts to make a shot brighter makes the noise evident. I was looking at the channel information and found that the blue channel is incredibly noisy. So I'm just substituting the green channel for the blue and it looks fine. I'm now doing the color in AE. The popcorn FCP to AE script works incredibly well. Only one small section didn't come out.





No comments: