Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Barriers to entry

I was thinking about how barriers to entry are potentially a good thing. One of the things that differentiates music from film is that in music, the barriers to entry are very low. All you need is is the idea that you can write and sing something (which seems to be everyone, especially with auto-tune). But film requires a significant investment of time and energy if not money.

I think that's one of the things that's bothering my rapper second cousin who works on beats. When the barrier to entry is low there are thousands and thousands of other artists working out there; there is a lot of 'noise.' And to cut through you have to be a good marketer (my second cousin hates marketing despite the fact that he has a degree in it.) In film it's not quite as difficult to get out there because the barrier to entry is higher. So to a certain extent, the marketing demands are not quite as high depending on your aspirations.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Then there's Barriers to Doing too - art in America has an interview with photographer Lewis Baltz of "new toppgraphics" fame. When asked why he used 35mm instead of the larger formats that his peers used he says, "oh I'm a lazy bastard and hate carrying aroung large heavy equipment. I know myself well enough to know if I had to stop the car and get out to set up a 4x5 camera, I'd probably talk myself out of doing anything."
-dc