Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Waiting outside the Elephant

[written 2 weeks ago, posted later]

I'm sitting here outside the Elephant Theater waiting for the director to show up. We're supposed to run some video tests today for this new theater project I'm working on. I'm doing a short pre-show video + one other surveillance-style video.

We're still in wait mode on the score. I'm almost scared to talk to Dan and find out how far he's gotten—or not gotten. We'll see. Ben showed Alpha 77 to his brother and new sister-in-law. She said it was "SO Pi." I'm a little afraid that people will pigeon hole it too quickly. But you know, I should have built in some anti-pigeon holing into the video. You know, do an unexpected zig zag. Then the audience is like putty in my hands.

Here's the difference between Ben and me. Ben played me some songs he's been writing. One is about his daughter. I've been circuit-bending some toys. For some reason I just really wanted to do it. I've really been wanting to circuit bend some video. So I bent a Pixel Chix toy I bought a few years ago. It was pretty expensive, $30. But the bend turned out great. I realized that there are two kinds of LCD screens. The really cheap ones have images burned in, like the $1 Space Invaders game I bought at Walmart. There are no pixels in those games, just shapes that blink on and off. Pixel Chix, on the other hand, is pixel based which makes it possible to create some really nice bends. One short leaves the character with a floating head. Another bend creates weird rectangles. I have about five or six bent items waiting boxes.

I was able to get an old circuit working. I forgot what it was originally. Now it has a grid of circles that blink on and off in repetition along with a buzzy noise. I call it the meditator.

No comments: