Sunday, November 04, 2007

Bloomin' daisies!

I'm pretty proud of my blooming daisy video for the current theater project. I wanted a stop motion type effect, sort of like the blooming flower in the title for Magnolia. I was actually going to do it stop motion but I couldn't figure out a way to animate the silk daisy I bought. So I figured out another way to do it. With my hands in black socks in front of black paper, I pulled the daisy through a toilet paper tube that I had narrowed down. Played backwards it creates a beautiful blossoming effect.

My attempt to create a burn element wasn't so successful. I lit some black paper in the bathtub hoping to get a slow smouldering burn that I could use for a traveling matte. But the paper burned unevenly into a weird smile shape and then the whole thing went up in flames. The fire alarm went off and the tub was filled with black ash. Bad idea. I ended up using the CC burned film plug in that comes with After Effects.

No comments: