Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Audio exposition - [example]

At the end of our film there is the big exposition that takes place when Ben cuts up visual and audio files and pieces them together into coherent sentences. Here's the audio file that I gave to Dan as an example. Now he's going to take the basic idea and run with it. Listen to mp3. My brother-in-law did a great job with work on some of the source audio. The rest of the stuff is public domain source from archive.org.

I was afraid Dan wasn't going to go for my idea of putting in the "cheesy" instructional slide show music at the beginning of the exposition but he didn't have any problem with it feeling it fit into the "musique concrete" sound design approach. However he said that the non-diegetic audio is pretty difficult. I think he means that it's hard to write something that functions within the "mood-creating" and other specifications of the film without using cliches. Plus it's hard to piece together the audio into a coherent whole that is not placed here and there purely for effect. I told him welcome to the world of design. By the way, I had to look non-diegetic up. It means "represented as coming from a source outside the story space" as in film music.

No comments: