Friday, April 28, 2006

Visual clues



Been thinking about visual clues and codes since I'm still working on the clue that tells Ben how to get to the desert. Some well-known visual clues from movies: Raiders of the Lost Ark--I remember the staff clue as if we can actually see the light traveling from the staff to the location on the map with a laser like noise. I wonder what it really looks like? Then there's the three dimensional clue from Contact where the plans are in 3D, and not 2D. The clue I was originally going to use--map with superimposed symbol shape is too common I think, too 70's, too Zodiac killer. We've seen it a lot, but can never remember where.

I was looking through some conspiracy websites this morning. Check out http://www.texemarrs.com. Reminds me of Erich von Daniken's stuff (Do you know he has a theme park now by the way? Search for "mystery park switzerland" and see the photo above. What's pretty common in conspiracy thinking is the collection of a huge body of folk evidence tied together via mental gymnastics.

So in our film, the clues need to be of that kind--they need to seem to work, but they also need to be more a matter of faith than anything else.

No comments: