Friday, January 13, 2006

Update 1/13/06

Hi everyone,

Well, we've been working on this thing for about a year now! It's progressing, with some changes in the air. First, I took some time to put the updates, comments, treatment, etc. in blog form. You'll find it at...

http://noisfilm.blogspot.com/

I found that putting things online makes them very accessible which is a form of usability. Otherwise I have to search through hard drives and DVDs. Hopefully this can serve as a reference for everyone.

Ben has been occupied with various family things for about a month but he finally got back last week and we were able to shoot some lighting test footage. You'll see it posted on the blog along with other lighting footage that I've been shooting.

Also, at school we're going to be getting one of the inexpensive Sony HD cameras--should arrive very soon since it's already been placed on order. So I'm waiting for that to arrive to actually begin production. So, Nois goes Hi Def!. This camera uses the consumer/prosumer HDV format. I've been reading that handled right (and with the right camera) it looks like 16mm. Also, it gives us more latitutde in dealing with contrast which is always a big deal.

Most of the sets are pretty much done. Just need a few last-minute type additions and set dressing. I have a bunch of book pages I need to age. One of my students told me that I could use tea to do it but I haven't tried it yet. Instead, I tried using my mom's musubi (rice ball) strategy. It's pretty common to hold the nori over a gas flame to toast it before wrapping the rice. So I thought I'd toast the paper to see if I could age it. Guess what? Paper burns! duh. So I'm still working on the aging thing. Maybe back to the tea.

I've been trying to get Dan to edit part or all of the video. There's a long tradition of sound designers-turned editors--Ben Burtt and Walter Murch, anyway. It's apparently a natural double, like playing flute and sax. But he's super busy so we'll see.

Also, check out earth.google.com. The downloadable ap works on either Mac or Windows. It lets you fly around most industrialized countries in the world. I visited my house, my parent's house and snooped around the area. Very useful. I didn't know my neighbors had a pool. I also found that there's an alternate route down our hill. Interesting, being a spy. It would be great for doing those 'satellite spy view shots' but unfortuantely, I don't think it's licensed for that.

That's it for now,

Ron

No comments: